Branding Your Business.
If you’re going to be profitable as an entrepreneur, you really can’t underestimate the importance of branding your business effectively. If people don’t know about your business, it’s like dressing up in your best clothes and sitting at home. It will do you no good! Build up your brand and get a following of people ready to jump when you open your literal or figurative doors for business. Be known before you start selling your product or service! Branding is certainly a saturated topic, and one we’ve touched on in several articles a few times already. So, what exactly is a brand? To put it simply, it is the image or title that will represent the quality, uniqueness, professionalism and value of your company and what it offers.
Here are some good steps to take when creating your brand:
- What is it exactly that your company seeks to do for your clients?
- Start with a rough draft mission statement.
- Mission statements capture the essence of your company’s mission.
- They should be short; not too detailed.
- Design the brand logo/image.
- Get professional help with this.
- If you can’t find someone local who you like and can afford, contact HyperEffects.
- Using crayons, a kitchen table, and stock logos from your computer’s Graphic Art folder will not suffice at all here.
- A good litmus test for your business logo is to ask others to tell you what they think the image represents.
- If they have no clue, or it’s way off the mark, change it.
- Give your brand a tag line.
- Write a brief but meaningful tag line that captures the essence of your value proposition.
- Images can be powerful and should convey a message, but using a tag line helps ensure your clients understand it that much more.
- Some skip this step, but why in the world would you not bother to protect the visual image that represents your entire company?
- Protect your brand.
- Once you have a logo you love, you’ll need to protect it by trademarking it.
- There are a few approaches you can take.
- You’d could simply do it yourself directly through the US Patent and Trademark office.
- Or find someone locally to do it for you at a small cost.
- One you have trademarked your company logo, be sure to show that protection in your actual image by adding the trademark symbol (TM) as part of the actual image file.
- The more places people see your brand, the more powerful it becomes.
- Once you have your brand image (logo), use it literally everywhere.
- Place it on your website, your email signature, videos, articles, social media, letterhead, your business cards, your marketing brochures, presentations, everywhere.
- You need to be deliberate.
- Don’t get in some mindset where you’ll get lazy: “Oh I’ll just let my spouse create my business logo” or “I’ll just save money by printing everything from my living room.”
- Effective marketing is impossible without a strong brand. Branding is such a foundational aspect of your business—it’s not something you can just do on the fly.
You’ll want to integrate your brand into your business cards, website, marketing materials, and social media. After naming your company, creating your brand image and strategy should be the next thing you do. Keep the following in mind about the existing strongest brands. They:
- Convey the trustworthiness and reliability they seek to deliver
- Make a promise of what clients can expect from the company
- Imply professionalism
- Represent the value and quality of their business mission
- Attract the right clients
- Explain who they are to your market
- Differentiate themselves from your competition
By now it’s hopefully apparent that you don’t want to skimp when it comes to developing and enforcing your brand message and imagery. Make sure you do this right. Changing up your brand down the road can be very costly. If you can curate and stick with a brand that works, you’re well on your way to being profitable as a consultant.
For more information on creating an effective marketing plan for your business, contact HyperEffects. We help enhance your customer service while building a sense of community, by getting a customer forum added to your company’s website. HyperEffects also helps companies get extravagant and enticing videos that could attract potential clients.
Hyper Effects | Grow Your Business